tedwords: (Default)
[personal profile] tedwords
 

"Stop making sense..." The Talking Heads

Another Friday and this feels like both a quick week and a long week, all rolled into one great big beautiful sack.

Short because I feel like each day just flew by, because I spent so much time working on two short stories for Queer Birds, in addition to closing down the pool and helping Corb put up holiday decorations at two of his stores. But the week was also long because if I look back on it, it feels like last Friday was forever ago.

But now, here we are, having reached another Friday night. Tonight we are dining at GiGis and then going off to see Sense and Sensibility.

You know, I remember having sense and sensibility once. Just once, though.

Which is probably once more than our current president can claim. [Insert rimshot here]

Ah, who am I kidding? Not about the orange jackass and his horrendous five day press secretary (his latest example of lack of sense), but because this has probably been one of my life’s biggest handicaps: too much darn sensibility. I am afflicted with it. I spent most of my life with the voices of my father and grandmother in my head, urging me to weigh the pros of cons of each decision. Make the right choice, don’t go too crazy. Be deliberative. And that admittedly, has served me fairly well.

And yet, I do hear my mother’s voice inside the old noggin every now and then, and she wasn’t necessarily averse to encouraging me to take a few chances. Which is why I quit a job I hated around the age of 22 and ran off with a theater troupe (you all know my summer in Edinburgh with Viola Davis). And, always kept theater and writing a part of my life even while I held down Corporate jobs. And also, took a chance and left said Corporate space at a relatively early age to see what else the world has to offer, when I could have milked things for a few more years.

I guess it's good to have the sensibility to know when be cautious about things, and also, when to take a few chances. That’s a fine line to navigate. But I will say that in all honesty, the best adventures I ever had in my life have always been when I took that chance and went a little crazy. The risk is higher, but the reward is far greater. And I look forward to the crazy plans for the future that Corb and I have been plotting for some time now. 2027 is looking awfully fun.

So tonight, raising a creamy black raspberry martini and toast to having good sense, but also, a toast to having good nonsense, which I think is just as important in life. Be smart but also be silly and sometimes be extravagant, and always, always find a way to never let the child inside you wither away. That is part of the secret to a good life—always stay a big kid at heart. Cheers, my dears.

As always, I raise a cup to my friends, and all the awesome members of the Friday night Martini club! And love you, mom and pop! You truly truly mean the world to us. 

Also, congrats and a huge martini toast to my sweet Ashes for securing her licensed mental health counselor license. That is awesome news and such hard work! I am very proud of what you have achieved, sweetie. Your hard work and decision to achieve this license was clearly a sensible decision.


Date: 2026-10-19 01:26 pm (UTC)
gwendraith: (Default)
From: [personal profile] gwendraith
What a handsome man in the photo :)

"I guess it's good to have the sensibility to know when be cautious about things, and also, when to take a few chances".

Absolutely. I'm a bit of a risk taker but I do trust my gut. I've not done anything too catastrophic!

I once went to Edinburgh on holiday and loved it so much that when I got back home I handed in my notice at work, I had no job or accommodation to go to and my boss said, "are you mad?" 🙀. He let me fly up to find a flat and I got a fabulous one just off the Royal Mile and after I got there I found a good job. Best 6 years of my life!

"always find a way to never let the child inside you wither away."

Oh yes, I'm good at frequently channelling my inner 10 year old :)

Glad you got the swimming pool sorted and well done Ashes!

Profile

tedwords: (Default)
tedwords

October 2026

S M T W T F S
     123
4 5678910
11 12131415 16 17
18 192021 222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 23rd, 2026 01:07 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios