Friday night martini
Sep. 11th, 2026 01:29 pmOf course today marks 25 years since a tragic event most of will never forget. Is there anyone who doesn't recall where they were when the news appeared on the television? Or the fear and sadness we all felt? We were truly one at the time...unlike these days, when we are so Not One. These days, the hatred is internal and the destruction is...well, you get the picture. But so lovely to see Former presidents come together as One to remember that day.
On a totally unrelated note, today also marks five months since I said farewell to the corporate world, and it does feel like it's flown by. I've done so many things and don't feel my pace has slowed down...if anything, it's sped up. But I think that's because I'm no longer trying to make it through the five work days to get to the two tiny days of happiness. Nowadays, Corb and I are doing the things we care about seven days a week. And it feels good to be so productive and creative.
In fact, I actually broke the 200 mark this week and stayed there for five days straight, which means I've lost 17 pounds since I left the corporate world. I haven't been on any kind of medication either, its just been not sitting eight hours a day, walking and exercise, and eating more moderately. No more stress eating days. Those are behind me.
The last time I was under 200 was four years ago, when I had just gotten my team at work and started undergoing cardio rehab. The rehab was good, the stress wasn't. There were nights where I couldn't sleep more than an hour or two at a time; I would just lay in bed and think about what I needed to get done, to be perceived as a "leader" (man do I hate that word), to figure out how to motivate, be proactive, be efficient and effective, and inspire.
I respect people who enjoy that sort of thing, but the Gen Xer in me wants to vomit just typing those words.
I would wake up in the morning and be so, so tired. I would pray my health reprieve wasn't short lived, because the lack of sleep and weight gain I was seeing couldn't possibly be helping me recover.
Over time, I learned to cope and develop tricks to survive. But honestly, I am so, so glad I decided to leave that world behind. I could do it, I did it well, but it wasnt what I truly wanted for my life. Never had been. I did it for an end goal: to be where I am today.
I would rather inspire from a completely different perspective. Working on more creative stuff, even if it won't be viewed by as many people. Getting what I think is important done. Relearning who I truly am.
A few people have said I look more relaxed these days. I totally am. I am working on things I care about. And evaluating what's important and what I can change next each and every day.
So tonight, I raise a berry melon martini and raise a toast to coming together as one, to caring about what you are working on and to inspiring others by showing what you are inspired by. Life is worth living in technicolor, and all of us want to be a part of the landscape in the most colorful way we know how. Here's to a rainbow of colors. And not racing through the workday to get to the weekend.
These days are worth it. Sometimes I think life is like a reverse sandwich: you get twenty years of the good stuff, and then spend decades making as much bread as you can til you get back to the good stuff again. I'm glad I'm there. And slightly jealous of those who figured this out before I did.